The Green House has been providing therapy for people affected by sexual abuse for over 30 years. Founded in the 1970’s, we were formerly known as Avon Sexual Abuse Centre. As we began to support increasing numbers of children and young people we decided it was important to have a more accessible name and in 2010 we formally became The Green House.
In recent years we have seen an unprecedented rise in demand and The Green House has strived to respond. We have grown our counselling services almost threefold, now providing therapy for over 75 men, women and children each week. In 2019 we moved to St Agnes Lodge, our new purpose-built therapy centre in St Paul’s, Bristol. With larger, much-improved facilities we are delighted to offer a welcoming and inclusive space that honours the courage of our clients and our mission to help people recover from sexual abuse.
To help people affected by sexual abuse and rape to recover from their trauma and help improve their mental health, wellbeing and resilience through the provision of specialist professional therapy accessible to all.
- Quality – delivering professional services which honour the courage of our clients and provide the best possible environment for them to recover and flourish.
- Hope – believing that we can bring positive change to the lives of our clients.
- Respect – treating everyone with non-judgmental sensitivity and kindness and respecting diversity of age, gender, sexuality, race and life experience.
- Collaboration – working in partnerships with others to maximise the difference we can make together.
- Learning – embracing change and new ideas to ensure that we consistently strive for excellence in everything we do.
Why our work matters
Research shows an estimated 1 in 20 children have experienced some form of sexual abuse and nearly half a million adults in England and Wales are sexually assaulted each year. These experiences cause severe trauma and deep emotional, physical and psychological stress. The effects of trauma can include depression, anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress, and suicidal feelings. Counselling can provide a safe place for individuals to process their experiences and begin to move forward with their lives.
I feel a more worthy person to be in the world and feel as though some of the fog has been lifted. I can now see that I am not as much of a burden as I thought I was and I do have something to give other people.